Technical Information & Resources
Ultra-High Performance Concrete is still a relatively new concrete technology, but it is quickly gaining favor among federal and state governments. In an effort to help contractors, builders, and others in the concrete industry gain a better understanding of UHPC, we have compiled a list of resources for easy reference.
- Ultra-High Performance Concrete – A document providing an in-depth look at UHPC, including how it is made, mixed, and is used.
- Design and Construction of Field-Cast UHPC Connections – Guidance from FHWA on the design and deployment of field-cast UHPC connections. Includes a case study.
- Every Day Counts (EDC) – Additional details on the EDC-3 and EDC-4 initiatives supporting the use of UHPC for prefabricated bridge elements and systems
- Ultra-High Performance Concrete: A State-of-the-Art Report for the Bridge Community – This report discusses in detail the state of the art in regards to the research, development, and deployment of UHPC in highway transportation infrastructure in the United States.
- Ballistic Penetration Tests for Ductal and Ultra-High Performance Concrete Samples – A Sandia National Laboratories report confirming the superior performance of Cor-Tuf under ballistic penetration tests as compared to Ductal.
- UHPC: Pathway to Commercialization – A document outlining the results of a workshop sponsored by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Science and Technology (S&T) Directorate, and the National Transportation Security Center of Excellence (NTSCOE) at the University of Connecticut to promote the acceptance and use of UHPC in U.S. construction.
- Cost and Ecological Feasibility of Using UHPC in Highway Bridges – The results of a study sponsored by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s University Transportation Centers Program to determine the economic and environmental feasibility of UHPC cross-sections in bridges.
- Early-Age Strength of Ultra-High Performance Concrete in Various Curing Conditions – A study of the curing techniques and conditions used on-site for UHPC with the purpose of expediting the use of UHPC on construction sites.
- Evaluation of Ultra-High-Performance Fiber-Reinforced Concrete – A report from the Virginia Center for Transportation Innovation and Research which analyzes the structural behavior of precast beams made with UHPC.
- Ultra-High Performance Concrete Publications – The FHWA’s UHPC research and development program has published a number of publications covering the applications and uses of UHPC. This resource provides a list of those publications with direct links to sources when available.
- North American Deployments of UHPC in Highway Bridge Construction – An interactive map and list of all in-service bridges in the United States and Canada that use UHPC.
- UHPC Connections for Prefabricated Bridge Elements – An example checklist for the construction of UHPC connections for prefabricated bridge elements. This is an excellent resource for bridge owners to consult when developing inspection procedures.